Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Medallion Ornament Tutorial

This morning I went through the Scrapbook Heaven Gallery to find a project to feature for layout of the day, and came across a beautiful ornament in the archives from PJstamps:



I knew I just had to make one for myself, and figured I would do a little tute in case any of you wanted to make one for your holiday decor.  It's really quite easy.

You will need:
scallop circle punch
paper doily
strip of paper to create accordion flower for center
cardstock for backing
pretty button or brad for center
paper glue
ribbon
scoring board (not required)

One:
Punch scallop circles (mine used 18, but this will depend on the size of your circle)

Two:
Score the circles as shown.  If you're using a scoring board place two dots along one of the score lines--makes it easier to line the scallop up each time.

Three:
 Fold the circles along the score line, but don't crease.  Add a little adhesive to the bottom portion and pinch.  Cut a circle from cardstock to use as backing (I used a Sizzix diecut scallop circle)

Four:
Dry fit your rolled circles around the backing.

Five:
Adhere the "petals" in place.  I didn't worry about aligning the edges all the way down the petal.  Rather, make sure the top edges touch and leave a gap between the bottoms. 

Six:
Glue the paper doily to the center and embellish with an accordion folded rosettes, scallop circle, and decorative button or brad.  If you're not sure how to make the accordion rosettes, here is a quick and easy video tutorial.  And glue on a ribbon for hanging.  Done--wasn't that easy?

Let me know if you give this a try!

5 comments:

  1. aboslutely gorgeous, sure I'll give a try and will show you ! thanks !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! Vero, I can't wait to see what you create!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous!! I may try and make these. I'm pinning them to my pinterest board, so hopefully I won't forget!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made it on 2 christmas cards , here on my blog :
    http://caroline60.canalblog.com/

    Thank you so much for this good idea
    best regards
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I love that you are leaving a little note to let me know you were here!