Wednesday, March 24, 2010

More Flowers

I'm so jazzed by Lolly's Wall Flowers Week and this whole blooming spring thing, that I whipped up a few more flowers:

A great way to use up those fabric scraps. I've attempted these a couple of times and had mixed results. Today I tried a different tactic and they worked so much better (and my fingers weren't coated with glue after). I will attempt to list the steps here, but Rhonna Farrer does a super vid.
  1. Tear strips of fabric about 1 1/2" to 2" wide and I don't know, maybe 24" long (this is not an exact science and you can always add in another strip of fabric--even try mixing different fabrics on the same flower).
  2. Tie a knot at one end of the strip.
  3. Starting at the knot, turn the fabric over, and gather it around the knot, turn and gather, turn and gather, working from the center outwards. You should see a flower start to take shape.
  4. When you have a flower you like, use fabric glue or hot glue to glue it to a scrap of felt.
  5. Let dry and trim away excess felt backing and voila! a beautiful blooming rose. Embellish with a jewel or pearl button, or whatever fits your style.

These fluffy flowers are also courtesy of Rhonna (video here), and, are you ready for this? They are made with coffee filters! Now, it just so happens that the pot to my coffee maker broke a few years back and we switched to a filterless system. But as luck would have it, the pot broke days after I had just bought a new box of coffee filters. How many coffee filter butterflies can one mom and her three boys really make? Well, I was tickled to rip out that box of filters and whip this up.

Rhonna used 12 filters--6 on each half of the flower. I found that this was not as pooffy as I wanted and added lots more filters in the spaces. It's as easy as folding and stapling individual filters and then hot gluing them into 2 clusters, then gluing them to make a sphere. So super fast and easy!

1 comment:

  1. I adore Rhonna's rolled fabric flowers! Those are next on my list since they are so close to the ribbon ones!

    Thanks for all the sweet posts this week! It looks like you are having a BLAST!

    I am so gonna link to you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I love that you are leaving a little note to let me know you were here!